Sunday, December 14, 2008

Heartbreak in Tarapoto (and MPLN office)



We received a note from Elder Wright’s mom in Chubbock, Idaho this past week. She passed along part of her son's email. He is in Tarapoto, where Landon was before he was assigned to the office. This is what he had to say:

“This morning we are all sad. We had a 15 year old boy from the ward who was found drowned this morning in the river. This boy and his family are newly converts of about six months. Elder Rich baptized them when he was here. He was a great kid. This kid was baptized first, and then following his example, his family was later baptized. It’s just kinda sad that a kid so young had this happen. It really makes ya think about the plan of salvation. We went to give a blessing to the mother this morning. I just can’t imagine how hard that would be. Everyone here in the ward is pretty upset. I just can’t imagine how a family who doesn’t know about the Plan of Salvation, can stand to go through this. It’s hard enough when we do know. It makes me want to share the gospel even more.”

We passed this information along to Elder Rich. He read the email yesterday. He is heartbroken.

Landon’s letter: "As I opened the email this morning, I knew right who it was, without even seeing or reading any names. I ran right to the phone and called the missionaries in Tarapoto. It’s Paul, mom. The oldest son of Giovanna and Pedro, the family that I baptized. He got caught under a log and drowned. I feel horrible and tears still come to my eyes every time I think about it. I miss them, and they are going through so many problems. I will call them tonight to talk with them. I feel horrible and there is nothing I can do but pray and hope they come around and realize this life is not the end."

"How can this be, mom? People so great, who accepted everything and now this….. Only God knows why!! I feel horrible. Pray for them. Thankfully, I was able to go to the temple today and was able to put their names in the temple and pray for them there."

Please join with our family in praying for Pedro and Giovanna and their youngest son - and for Elder Rich, as they mourn for their son, brother and friend.

No comments: