Monday, June 22, 2009

Homemade by MOM

"That’s cool you learned how to make my favorite food!!! I don’t mean to burst your bubble, but when I get home I think I will want to eat food from the states, haha, just joking, I will probably want to eat at the Peruvian restaurants all the time because I will miss the food down here!!!! That’s great!!!"

Papa a la Huancaina - (Peruvian Potatoes with Cheese)

Peruvian Sauce:

2 lb. Panela cheese (found in Mexican markets)
3 Tbsp. Yellow Hot Pepper Sauce (Aji Amarillo salsa)
½ clove garlic (optional)
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp. oil
1-2 cans evaporated milk (till you get desired consistency)
Dash of freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. lime juice

Peruvian Potatoes:
10 leaves of lettuce
10 potatoes, boiled and sliced in half
3 eggs, hard-boiled and sliced vertically in ¼’s
10 pitted olives
Parsley, chopped
1 medium red onion, sliced very thin, rinsed in water and seasoned with salt

Combine all sauce ingredients in a blender; blend completely, using a little more oil and a little more evaporated milk if needed to blend ingredients well. Sauce should have a slightly thick consistency so it can be spread over the potatoes. To assemble, lay a bed of lettuce in a serving dish; place the potatoes on the lettuce. Cover with the sauce. Garnish with eggs, olives, parsley, and onion slices. Serve cold.

No comments: